Tuesday, October 16, 2012

”For one who realizes the distinction between citta and atma, the sense of separation between the two disappears.” 4.25 Iyengar translation. Iyengar gives us a clue, so we know the sign of arriving here, our consciousness will realize it is not all-knowing but an instrument for the soul. Beautiful. Maybe this state can come and go? Maybe we can realize this with our consciousness to then loose it again in the whirls of life (and rebuilding of ego)? Anyway, Iyengar and Patanjali gives us some promises in this sutra. Yogapractice will bring us to this state. All moods and modes ending. Precious neutral state. But not a state that excludes our humanity, not a state that takes us from nature (citta) to the soul (citi) but all differences, or all distance dissolves and there is unity, or the unity becomes clear. Desikachar writes about how the end of curiosity comes, when we have met our true nature. We will not be wondering ”where am I?” ”who am I?” and ”What will I be?”. These questions are products of obstacles, and when we have felt our true nature, we get set free from this type of obstacles. In personal practice and in teaching it guides me to move towards sukha, ease, and inclusion or integration. When I find the limitation for me, in an asana, to care for this and explore it, instead of fighting with it and demanding reality different. My master never forced anything out of me. On the opposite he always left it for time and practice to come. My headstand have been really hard for me for years, of course I've been taught again and again how to improve it but not once pushed to be able to do it differently or longer.. When I started to work with him my spine had too big curvatures. I worried because I could see I was not straight when I asked I was told to give my back time it would come. Sometimes I have to choose to work on my shoulders and chest or on my hips and lower back, since I cannot both at the same time. I'm told just to explore and over time work on both. I find this aligned with this sutra because it brings me to a state where my humanity, my limitations are included and I do feel ease and unity between the direction of where I'm moving towards and the position I'm at now. I also experience this happening slowly when I teach, I'm starting to teach more in trust that yoga will do it for the student and I'm just a tool helping them at a short point. I'm not there to change or fix, just to assist whatever process, I can tell, they are in. For example, I sometimes see that a problem I've addressed keeps coming back. Well I don't give them the same adjustment or talk every time (unless it's dangerous) sometime I just let them be and see what happens. It is interesting to see how it changes over time, especially for the students that have a home practice. Namasté Jenni Saunte

No comments: